Vermont Railroad Timeline

1831-1843 • 1843  1846-18511852-18631860-18681870-18751877-18861888-1894

1888 July 4—The Central Vermont extends its Montpelier & White River Railroad line from Barre to Williamstown.

1889 March—The Barre Railroad is completed, providing access to the Central Vermont lines from the quarries on Millstone Hill.

1894 The Central Vermont Railroad controls most of the rails in Vermont. It is a modern company with a good safety record and steadily increasing traffic. Almost all of its locomotives have converted from wood burning to coal, passenger cars are steam heated, and most cars are equipped with automatic couplers. The company has 189 engines, 123 pieces of passenger equipment, about 3,800 freight cars, and nearly 2,400 employees.

The  Barre Railroad’s Mountain King moving a granite monument down Quarry Hill in 1889.

Copyright 2006, Vermont Historical Society.  All rights reserved.
Reproduction of photographs or text without written permission is prohibited.